Lutheran Church of the Resurrection (Racine, Wisconsin)
|Lutheran Church of the Resurrection|
|Location||322 Ohio Street|
|Construction started||July 19, 1964|
|Opening||August 1, 1965|
The Lutheran Church of the Resurrection is a Lutheran church located at 322 Ohio Street in Racine, Wisconsin. The church was founded in 1961 by a merger of Immanuel Lutheran Church and Bethesda Lutheran Church, and its current building opened in 1965. The church is located next to Goodland Elementary School and across Ohio Street from Lockwood Park. The rear parking lot sits at the foot of the northern segment of Perry Avenue, and it abuts the boundary between the city of Racine and the village of Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin. The current pastor is the Rev. Karen Pahl.
History[edit | edit source]
On January 1, 1961, the Evangelical Lutheran Church and the United Evangelical Lutheran Church merged with the American Lutheran Church to form the new American Lutheran Church. On the same day, Immanuel Lutheran Church and Bethesda Lutheran Church in Racine merged their congregations. In 1959, the two churches were both seeking land on Ohio Street to construct a larger building. They agreed to merge and to name the combined congregation "Lutheran Church of the Resurrection". The new church congregated in Immanuel's building at 520 North Lafayette Avenue as they awaited the construction of a new building on the Ohio Street site. Construction on the new church began with a groundbreaking ceremony held on July 19, 1964. The building's cornerstone was laid on November 22, 1964, and the steeple was elevated into place on March 8, 1965. The congregation held its last service in the old building on Sunday, August 1, 1965, then drove in a caravan to the new building, where they held its first service.
Pastors[edit | edit source]
- Rev. Roger Knudson, January 1, 1961 to April 6, 1983
- Rev. Larry Kocha, January 15, 1984 to September 8, 1996
- Rev. James E. Barsch, September 1, 1997 to 2018
- Rev. Karen Pahl, since February 11, 2018
References[edit | edit source]
- "Lutheran Merger Affects 15,000 in Racine Churches", Racine Journal Times, April 17, 1960, section 1, page 6.
- "Church History", lcrracine.org, Lutheran Church of the Resurrection.
- "Merged Church Selects Name", Racine Journal Times, October 6, 1960, page 8.
- "2 Early Racine Churches to Start New History", Racine Journal Times, June 19, 1960, section 1, page 8.
- "Church of Resurrection Occupies New Building", Racine Journal Times, August 8, 1965, page 1C.
- "New Look in Steeples", Racine Journal Times, March 9, 1965, page 4A.
- "Briefly: Knudson leaving", Racine Journal Times, April 2, 1983, page 5A.
- "Kocha assumes post", Racine Journal Times, January 21, 1984, page 5A.
- "Kocha retiring from ministry after 39 years", Racine Journal Times, September 7, 1996.
- "Barsch new pastor at Lutheran Church of the Resurrection", Racine Journal Times, August 30, 1997.
- "Religion Today", Racine Journal Times, February 7, 2018.