The Royal Oak (Swallowcliffe, England)
History[edit | edit source]
While the precise date of construction is unknown, the building was built by John Wright around 1705. By 1707, it was used as a tannery owned by Thomas Wright. The tannery was one of the reasons to move St. Peter's Church to its current location in 1842. Between years 1852 and 1858 The Royal Oak (known as The Royal Oak Inn) opened for the first time.
The Royal Oak was listed as a Grade II building on January 6th, 1966.
The place had to close in 2007. In 2012, a planning application was made to turn the building into private housing, but it saw opposition from locals. Local residents had bought the pub in summer of 2012, and after an extensive renovation project it was reopened again in September of 2015. The pub closed in 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
References[edit | edit source]
- History of The Royal Oak, royaloakswallowcliffe.com.
- Parishes: Swallowcliffe, British History Online.
- The Royal Oak, Historic England.
- Royal Oak helps fund raise for the Village Hall, swallowcliffe.com.
- The Royal Oak Inn - A new lease of life, swallowcliffe.com.
- James May buys 'half' of Royal Oak in Swallowcliffe, BBC News, September 19th, 2020.