|Address||1750 Ohio Street|
|Opened||April 1, 1976|
|Closed||August 8, 1992|
|Retail floor area||84,000 square feet (7,800 m2)|
|Next tenant||Rogan's Shoes headquarters|
Kmart #4477 was a Kmart discount department store located at 1750 Ohio Street in Racine, Wisconsin. The store opened on April 1, 1976. It closed on August 8, 1992, when the store moved into a new location, becoming Kmart #3774 in the nearby High Ridge Centre shopping center.
History[edit | edit source]
The Kmart store, store #4477, opened on April 1, 1976, on time for Kresge's plans to have the store ready for the Easter shopping season. The opening was unaffected by a nationwide Teamsters strike going on at the time, which included the store's delivery drivers. The Kmart store was granted a license to serve fermented malt beverages in September 1981. In 1983, the store was one of five Kmarts in Wisconsin to offer home improvement merchandise in a "Homecare Center" department.
In October 1988, Kmart Corporation became the first retailer to agree to open a store at the proposed High Ridge Centre shopping complex, less than a mile away from its existing store, and said that it would close store #4477 upon opening its new store there. After several delays, and after the opening of Kmart #3851 at Greentree Centre across town in 1991, Kmart Corporation took control of the High Ridge property from its original developer. The store at 1750 Ohio Street probably closed on August 8, 1992, hours before the soft opening of its replacement, store #3774. The building's Kmart sign was removed on August 13, during the new store's grand opening ceremony.
Incidents[edit | edit source]
- On November 15, 1976, camera equipment and a CB radio valued at $1,600 were stolen from a car in the store's parking lot.
- On June 21, 1978, three Racine teenagers were injured in a motorcycle collision directly behind the store.
- On May 13, 1979, a Caledonia woman was injured when she slipped and fell on a slippery floor at the store, and later sued the store for $100,000 in damages in April 1982.
- On June 26, 1983, at 4:12 p.m., the Racine Fire Department was called to extinguish a grass fire on the property.
- On November 1, 1983, the Kmart Auto Center performed a routine wheel replacement which was allegedly done improperly, leading the car's wheel to fall off and cause a traffic accident two days later. The children of the car's owner, who was injured in the accident, sued Kmart for negligence, seeking $232,500 in damages.
- On June 3, 1984, three video recorders with a total value of $1,427 were reported missing and presumed stolen from the Kmart store.
- On November 17, 1984, at about 6 p.m., the Kmart store was robbed of $1,200 by a man claiming to have a gun. A 30-year-old Milwaukee man was convicted of the robbery.
- On December 5, 1985, a 37-year-old Burlington woman and a 17-year-old girl were arrested for shoplifting at Kmart, and police allegedly discovered evidence in the woman's car that she had also shoplifted from the nearby Shopko store #27 at 4801 Washington Avenue.
- On December 24, 1985, a Racine man slipped and fell on ice and snow in the Kmart parking lot, later suing the store for $270,000 in damages.
- On February 7, 1989, a television caught fire in the store, and the fire department was called at 9:10 p.m.
- On September 28, 1989, a cash register valued at $3,000 became missing and presumed stolen after it was left unattended on a patio outside the store.
- On May 21, 1991, pallets behind the store caught fire and the fire department was called at 1:50 p.m.
References[edit | edit source]
- Pfankuchen, David. "K mart will open Thursday", Racine Journal Times, March 28, 1976, page 12A.
- "Teamster strike impact light here—so far", Racine Journal Times, April 1, 1976, page 1E.
- "License and Welfare Committee Report", Racine Journal Times, September 5, 1981, page 4B.
- Advertisement, Racine Journal Times, November 2, 1983, page 28.
- Sumner Coon, Laura. "K-mart signs as tenant for High Ridge Plaza", Racine Journal Times, October 21, 1988, page 3A.
- Holley, Paul J. "Kmart opens to packed house", Racine Journal Times, August 14, 1992, page 3A.
- "Police beat", Racine Journal Times, November 16, 1976, page 3A.
- "Police", Racine Journal Times, June 22, 1978, page 1B.
- "Courts", Racine Journal Times, April 22, 1982, page 3B.
- "Racine Fire Calls", Racine Journal Times, June 27, 1983, page 3A.
- "Courts", Racine Journal Times, June 19, 1984, page 5A.
- "Police", Racine Journal Times, June 4, 1984, page 5A.
- "Police", Racine Journal Times, November 18, 1984, page 4A.
- "Courts", Racine Journal Times, April 9, 1985, page 5A.
- "Christmas stealing?", Racine Journal Times, December 6, 1985, page 4A.
- "Courts", Racine Journal Times, June 17, 1987, page 5A.
- "Racine Fire Calls", Racine Journal Times, February 9, 1989, page 5A.
- "Police", Racine Journal Times, September 29, 1989, page 5A.
- "Racine Fire Calls", Racine Journal Times, May 22, 1991, page 5A.