Broken infoboxes[edit source]
- Images work in some infobox templates, such as Template:Infobox building, but not in others. I'm currently working on trying to figure out why this is. Thanks, Reschultzed (talk) 21:59, 14 August 2020 (UTC)
- Images should work in all infoboxes now. Thanks for prodding me to look into this, @DVRVid. Reschultzed (talk) 02:34, 15 August 2020 (UTC)
Page Deletion Request[edit source]
Can you please delete 2508 West New Haven Avenue (Melbourne, Florida), as it's incorrect, the correct page is 2508 West New Haven Avenue (West Melbourne, Florida). Sorry for the mistake, whether or not an address is in Melbourne or West Melbourne changes depending on which side of West New Haven Avenue it is on, and so I got it confused.
- I have set the first article to redirect to the second, which is what I would recommend rather than deleting it entirely. Thanks, Reschultzed (talk) 16:23, 15 August 2020 (UTC)
- Good idea. How's this? Reschultzed (talk) 02:27, 15 October 2020 (UTC)
template hard help[edit source]
Currently Template:MissingCat uses Template:Notice, but I am not sure if this is right. Another thing is, I am sure that the colour of the MissingCat template should be similiar/same as Template:Uncategorized on English Wikipedia. Can anyone help? - DVRVid (talk) 13:37, 8 November 2020 (UTC)
- Do you think it should be replaced with a template based off of Template:Uncategorized? I could try to do that. Reschultzed (talk) 17:57, 8 November 2020 (UTC)
Color coding for road tables[edit source]
Some time ago i experimented with color coding different places in road tables. But it is currently a mess, with each color being a seperate template. If there are any knowledgeable people who are able to make it better (possibly by putting it all in one template, and selecting the color using a single word), you are free to do so. P.S. Commerical and health are currently the same color, anybody knows how to separate them?
- DVRVid (talk) 09:51, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- When in doubt, I'd recommend using the colors from the OpenStreetMap standard layer. Also, in terms of table formatting, I recommend you check out the standards I've been developing on pages like Main Street (Racine, Wisconsin). Reschultzed (talk) 07:13, 27 November 2020 (UTC)
- Sorry I wasn't able to get to this until now. It's buried in the source code, but it looks like that location is store #45. Looking up "krispy kreme #45 atlanta" brings up some job listings and business records that seem to confirm it. -Reschultzed (talk) 07:56, 1 March 2021 (UTC)
Possible Bluepages and OpenHistoricalMap integration?[edit source]
OpenHistoricalMap is an OSM-based website, that aims to create a historical map database.
- I think cooperation between Bluepages and OHM would be a great idea, and it would be interesting to see what kind of cooperation would be possible. While I have quite a bit of experience editing OSM, I really don't know the first thing about how to integrate two services like these together. I imagine there'd need to be a working group of people with a lot of MediaWiki and OSM software experience to make that work. But since nearly every Bluepages article has a coord tag, it would be especially great to have something that can put those on a map, organize and sort them based on the contents of the article they come from, and go from there. If you or anyone else has more thoughts on how this could be done, I'd be really happy to work with them on that. -Reschultzed (talk) 08:05, 1 March 2021 (UTC)
Store Numbering Advice[edit source]
One thing I'd advise for the store numbering format is to add zeroes preceding said numbers (00215 vs. 01427) or figure out how to update the ordering. It's somewhat wonky to access at this time. BatteryMill (talk) 01:31, 14 March 2021 (UTC)
- That's a fair point. The trouble with treating store numbers as numbers instead of text, and the reason I didn't set it up that way in the first place, is that they'll show up as 1,427 instead of 1427, for example. Adding leading zeroes would avoid that problem, but I think readability is more important than proper sorting (and Publix, for example, doesn't use leading zeroes in its official store numbers, at least not on its website, so it wouldn't technically be accurate). I don't know if there's a more subtle way to do what you're suggesting, but if there is I'd be happy to implement it. Maybe something with DEFAULTSORT would work? By the way, thank you for adding those opening dates to Publix stores. The one thing I would ask is that you cite whatever sources you were using to find those dates and other information. Reschultzed (talk) 05:11, 14 March 2021 (UTC)
Yes, that is somewhat of a shame. There are a few such examples of leading zeroes floating online (https://location.westernunion.com/us/tn/franklin/5cf44d2346d9b2b66ec256cafe6979e6, https://supplysamaritan.org/listing/publix-0815/, and https://www.healthcare4ppl.com/supplier/florida/st-petersburg/publix-pharmacy-0071-15362.html), but it's up to you to decide, and up to us to see if Publix uses it officially anywhere.
You are welcome for the additions. All are sourced from the Publix upcoming store openings page (http://corporate.publix.com/about-publix/newsroom/new-store-openings) and Archive.org copies of said page. I have also found another spreadsheet with most openings dating to 2005. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/386723965164453899/820495335348633630/Publix_Store_Opening_Dates.pdf
- Thank you for letting me know about that great source from 2005. I went ahead and added all that information to Bluepages. Also, I think you should know that the citations need to be placed outside of the infobox, because otherwise the Cargo extension won't recognize them as dates. When you use a tool like the Drilldown page for Publix that sorts articles by date, they all show up as January 1, 1970. I went ahead and fixed all the ones that were having that problem for Publix already, but I think you should just be aware of that going forward. Thanks again! Reschultzed (talk) 07:07, 16 March 2021 (UTC)
I need your help. Can someone out there plz help me extract the lists of locations from these sites here and place them onto this wiki?
I find it quite weird that a wiki, primarily based around local history, allows articles that have zero historical information. I believe there should be a rule that makes it a requirement that an article has to have atleast one historical fact/other historical information (doesn't have to be a date)
This rules out a large chunk of existing articles, especially the ones made automatically. I don't think there should be done anything about them yet, just from now on they might have to correspond to this rule.
- The hope is that people will easily be able to add more historical information to existing pages over time. By casting a wide net and making Bluepages potentially a highly-ranked search result for a variety of obscure topics, more people will have a chance to find out that the site exists and have the opportunity to contribute. Or, at least, that's the idea behind it. I've slowed down creation of automatic articles a lot over time because this wasn't as effective a process as I had hoped, and I'm trying to make sure that the new ones that do get added have more information than just a name and address. Reschultzed (talk) 17:16, 22 January 2022 (UTC)