Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Address||1431 West 20th Street|
|Opened||November 16, 1967|
|Closed||April 13, 2003|
|Retail floor area||102,390 square feet (9,512 m2)|
|Next tenant||Restaurant Depot, BATL Axe Throwing, and SSQQ Dance Studio|
|Coordinates||29°48′14″N 95°25′31″W / 29.80394°N 95.42529°WCoordinates: 29°48′14″N 95°25′31″W / 29.80394°N 95.42529°W|
Kmart #4223 was a Kmart discount department store located at Kmart Plaza, 1431 West 20th Street in Houston, Texas. The store opened on November 16, 1967 as one of nine stores to open that day for a total of 216 Kmarts overall. It was also tied with Kmart 4236 for the eighth Kmart in the Houston area, and the 19th Kmart in Texas. In 1992, the store would expand into the former Kmart Foods and be remodeled from a pre-1972 full-size model Kmart, with a grand re-opening ceremony on October 11. In 1997, the store would be converted to one of the first 24 Big Kmarts in Texas, with a grand re-opening ceremony on November 14. The store ultimately closed on April 13, 2003.
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ K mart Corporation, Sales Taxpayer Search, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
- ↑ "K mart Opens 7th and 8th Houston Area Stores." Houston Chronicle, November 15, 1967, p. 12.
- ↑ Full-page advertisement, Houston Chronicle, October 11, 1992.
- ↑ Feser, Katherine. "Big Kmart wants shoppers back: New store design brighter, upscale." Houston Chronicle, November 15, 1997, p. 1C and p. 8C.
- ↑ Advertisement, The Baytown Sun, April 11, 2003, p. 7A.
- ↑ "Kmart latest" spreadsheet.