This article has been automatically generated from a spreadsheet. It may contain incomplete information and formatting errors. You can help Bluepages by editing this page to add new information to it or fix what's already there. (And please check out our guide to editing!)
|Address||7 South Glenwood Avenue|
|Opened||March 29, 1962|
|Retail floor area||95,000 square feet (8,800 m2)|
|Replaced by||Kmart #4794|
|Coordinates||42°39′01″N 83°17′03″W / 42.650283°N 83.284282°WCoordinates: 42°39′01″N 83°17′03″W / 42.650283°N 83.284282°W|
Kmart #4001 was a Kmart discount department store located at Glenwood Plaza, 7 South Glenwood Avenue in Pontiac, Michigan. The store opened March 29, 1962, and was the second full-size Kmart store to open, after Kmart #4000. The store included the first Kmart Chef restaurant, which opened in October 1967 and closed in 1974.
The S.S. Kresge company began leasing the space that became the Kmart store on June 9, 1961. The shopping center's owners sued Kmart in 1977, claiming that the store had been paying the center the wrong rate for electrical power, and demanding six years of back pay totalling $83,673.19. Kmart won the lawsuit in 1983, but this judgement was partially overturned on appeal the following year.
The store closed in 1992.
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ "Kresge To Open 2nd K-mart", Detroit Free Press, March 28, 1962, page 16.
- ↑ "Kmart latest" spreadsheet.
- ↑ S.S. Kresge Co. 1967 Annual Report, pp. 7-8, via archive.org.
- ↑ "Kmart...Eat Here and Get Gas!", Pleasant Family Shopping, April 30, 2008.
- ↑ GLENWOOD SHOPPING CENTER LTD. P'SHIP. v. K MART CORP., 136 Mich. App. 90 (1984), 356 N.W.2d 281, via leagle.com